Guest Services Hosts are frontline ambassadors who serve and interact with California Science Center guests and constituents. Hosts primarily work in exhibit galleries and in our IMAX Theater. The Host position is an excellent entry point into the California Science Center by providing great insight into our organization and our wide array of career opportunities. Host positions are part-time and are scheduled based upon operational needs. Team members are generally scheduled to work 3 to 4 days per week. Candidates with a flexible schedule of availability that include weekdays, weekends, holidays and some evenings are preferred. The California Science Center attracts and serves guests from the greater Los Angeles area as well as visitors from around the world, thus we seek team members who, like our guests, are from diverse backgrounds and experiences. The ability to speak fluent English is required, however, applicants who are bilingual and have the ability to also speak Spanish, Korean, Japanese, Chinese or American Sign Language are preferred.
The California Science Center is a world-class educational resource and family destination featuring hands-on exhibits and inquiry-based education programs serving a diverse community of learners. Located in the heart of Los Angeles in historic Exposition Park, the Science Center is open to the public 7 days a week, 362 days per year, with free general admission to its four major exhibit areas. The California Science Center aspires to stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences, because we value science as an indispensable tool for understanding our world, accessibility and inclusiveness, and enriching people's lives.
- One year or more of customer/guest services experience.
- Friendly personality with strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Team player who proactively greets and interacts with all guests in a friendly, professional manner.
- Ability to memorize and share information with guests regarding exhibits, programs, products, services and facilities.
- Honest, energetic, hardworking, reliable, detail oriented with good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and be available to work a minimum of three to four full days per week; including weekends, holidays and some evenings.
- Ability to adhere to workplace scheduling by maintaining exceptional attendance and punctuality.
- Ability to follow instructions and adhere to all California Science Center Foundation policies as well as departmental procedures.
HOST – DESCRIPTION
Hosts support our mission to “stimulate curiosity and inspire science learning in everyone by creating fun, memorable experiences” and engaging with all guests in our exhibit galleries. To ensure an optimum guest experience, Hosts are expected to facilitate friendly and welcoming interactions with everyone. While their main function is to influence the overall guest experience, Hosts also safeguard our guests, collections and property. Hosts ensure that guests’ needs are met; patrol public areas to ensure safety and adequate capacity and assist with light cleaning of exhibits and high touch surfaces. Host must be attentive to the safe movement of staff/visitors/assets and respond to emergencies according to defined procedures. Hosts are stationed in exhibition areas, including the IMAX Theater and must have the ability to move around exhibit galleries, assist with escorting guests from one location or floor to another other and assist with safely evacuating guests in case of fire alarm or emergency. Hosts are managed and coordinated by the Guest Services Leadership Team.
HOST - MAJOR JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Enhance the guest experience by continuously initiating museum related, educational or helpful interactions with guests.
- Verbally communicate with guests using a friendly, helpful tone to ensure you are being responsive to their needs.
- When a guest expresses an interest in a particular area or product, share information verbally or through hands-on demonstrations or literature.
- Use non-verbal communication skills such as positive body language (smiling, eye contact, good posture) to greet all guests and to encourage interactions.
- Promote the California Science Center’s donation-based admission, educational programming, products, food offerings, IMAX Theater, Attractions and Membership offerings.
- Maintain a clean work area; observe, detect and report potential hazards and/or damage/injury to guests, team members and property.
- Practice safe working habits; follow standard operating procedures for all work areas.
- Follow emergency procedures as necessary; respond to alarms according to established guidelines and assist with evacuating staff and guests; bring crisis situations to the attention of a manager or supervisor immediately.
- Provide proper use and safekeeping of California Science Center assets including radios, keys, clipboards and other equipment.
- Practice open communication by keeping Management Team informed of internal and external issues affecting the California Science Center.
- Perform other duties as required.
Hourly rate: $15