Virtual Field Trips
Welcome to Virtual Field Trips!
Inspire your students and spark their curiosity with Virtual Field Trips, a new program for grades K‑5. Build your own virtual field trip with FREE activity guides and videos, and/or reserve a LIVE virtual visit from one of our talented educators!
- K-5 NGSS-aligned content
- Grade-level specific resources
- Available in both English and Spanish
Free On-Demand Video Field Trips
- English and Spanish
- 15–20-min. segmented episodes driven by a question of the day
- No prep necessary!
- Functional in any learning environment
- Visit the California Science Center and meet our staff virtually
- High-quality, grade-appropriate, engaging!
Free Downloadable Activities
- English and Spanish
- Ready to assign through Google Slides or downloadable PDFs
- Minimal materials required
- Problem-based activities utilizing science and engineering practices
- Teacher Guides provided to support student learning
- Can be used in any learning environment
Live Virtual Experiences
Book a live program for your students to virtually engage with our skilled educators.
Kindergarten View Details
- Transform your kindergarteners into scientists as they look for patterns of what plants and animals need to survive. This virtual field trip will get your budding scientists to understand the relationship between what living things need and the environments where they live.
- Take your kindergarten scientists on a virtual field trip to the California Science Center to figure out what happens when the sun shines on an object. Students will be given a variety of scenarios to explain their thinking.
First Grade View Details
- Take your first grade scientists on a virtual field trip to meet the special creatures at the California Science Center to compare parents and offspring to see that they are alike, but not exactly alike. Students will also find patterns in behavior of parents and offspring that help offspring survive. Young scientists will begin to develop an understanding of how plants and animals use their external parts to help them survive, grow, and meet their needs.
- First grade scientists will embark on a virtual field trip to learn all about light and sound. Students will understand how useful light and sound can be in everyday tasks, such as communicating, seeing, and enhancing an experience!
Second Grade View Details
- Take your second grade scientists on a virtual field trip to compare the biodiversity of life in different habitats at the California Science Center. Students will investigate what plants need to grow and how animals play an important role in seed dispersal and pollination as they design their own models.
- Second graders, are you ready for an out-of-this-world virtual field trip? Check out our space collection at the California Science Center virtually as we learn about practices that go into designing objects meant for space exploration.
Third Grade View Details
- Take your third grade scientists on a virtual field trip that will blast them to the past as they think about evidence that tells us more about the history of a place. Students will also learn about present day environments to explore how changing surroundings can affect how well organisms who live there can survive. Encourage your third graders to construct scientific explanations anchored in evidence and prepare them to engage in argument!
- Inspire third graders to think about invisible forces in our virtual field trip to the California Science Center. Get curious about how things move and what influences motion while dropping, flicking and blowing on objects!
Fourth Grade View Details
- Fourth grade scientists will navigate toward a deeper understanding of how organisms receive and process information in this virtual field trip. Introduce your students to creatures that live at the California Science Center as they use and develop models to explore how the internal and external structures of plants and animals function to help them survive and experience the world around them.
- This virtual field trip will get your fourth grade scientists wondering about how objects and information move. Make observations to find the relationship between speed and energy as we investigate in our Big Lab. Learn about different methods of communication ranging in complexity from sound to binary codes.
Fifth Grade View Details
- Inspire your 5th grade scientists to think deeply about how matter and energy moves among producers, consumers and decomposers as they explore unique ecosystems and organisms on this virtual field trip to the California Science Center. Students will use models and experiment at home to develop an understanding that plants get the materials they need for growth chiefly from air and water and the energy in animals’ food was once energy from the sun.
- Fifth grade scientists will not believe what they are seeing with their very own eyes on this virtual field trip. As they explore the world of particles that are too small to be seen, scientists will learn how to explain and model what’s happening. Science is more than meets the eye.